I want to join in the East Cliff excavation. What do I do?
Everyone is welcome to come and join in the dig – just come along to the site. Digging will now continue until mid November – exact close date to be advertised, daily from 9 am to 4 pm.
To register as a volunteer with this year’s East Cliff excavation, telephone or email the ATU office on 01303 850614 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for your volunteer registration form. Complete the form and send back to the address supplied or take along to the East Cliff site and hand in to a member of the ATU team.
- You may volunteer to dig, wash finds or talk to the public in our on-site portacabin.
- The site is open to volunteers from 9-4pm daily from 11th July. Estimated end date has recently been revised to mid November – exact end date to be advertised.
- Lunch is from 12.30 – 1.30pm.
- Please bring your own provisions and stout footwear and weather appropriate clothing – sun hats and sunscrean and wet weather gear.
- You may volunteer for a minimum of half a day beginning at either 9am or 1.30pm.
- Please ensure you have seen the site risk assessment before you start work on site – copies of this are kept in the cabin and it is also pinned to the volunteer noticeboard.
- Young people between 12 and 15 years of age (inclusive) may be allowed to excavate at the discretion of Keith Parfitt and any such individuals must be accompanied on site by a parent or responsible carer. Younger children can be considered for finds processing at the discretion of Keith Parfitt and the Finds Processing supervisor.
- Site tours by Keith Parfitt for volunteers and visitors are given at 4pm every Sunday.
- For any other inquiries including booking group visits to the site please contact the ATU office as above.
Directions to Folkestone’s East Cliff:
The excavation is situated on the cliff top in front of Wear Bay Road, CT19 Folkestone. It is on a grassy area known as ‘Jock’s Pitch’ in between two Martello towers. It is situated to the East of Folkestone Town Centre and can be reached by the number 72 bus which leaves from the central bus station in the town. For Sat Nav’s use CT19 6PX.
Find it with google maps: